The next big content update to Atomic Society has now been released, adding new features like a barter and trade system, research, building upgrades and a wind turbine, and a lot of fixes and general polish, including a brand new camera system.
Full details can be found below in the patch notes.
I’ll post a (much needed) dev blog soon when the dust has settled. We’re already preparing for another big update after this one.
Note: Due to the large changes in this version won't be compatible with existing save games. Players will need to make a new settlement.
• Barter/Trade Feature Added. You can now build a new trade shack building to get rid of supplies you have too many of, or to find items you need without salvaging. Trade is done via a barter system so it’s down to you to work out the best price. Don't necessarily trust the trader's first offer!
• Wind Turbine Building Added. The wind turbine has been added. The wind turbine is expensive to make but will produce charged batteries that can be used to upgrade various buildings around your town.
• Research Centre Added. Several buildings in the game now need to be researched before you can construct them. This requires you to build the new Research Centre and unlock buildings via its menu. This adds an extra level of strategy as you go about expanding your town.
• Structure Upgrades Feature Added. Players can now decide to upgrade buildings with electricity to improve their functionality by spending charged batteries. There are various types of upgrade to get, and it’s up to you what buildings should be upgraded first. The game has been re-balanced to make upgrading feel important.
• Night Lighting Feature Added. When you upgrade a building with electricity, it switches on a light, allowing you bit by bit to visually restore electricity to your wasteland settlement. Is a cosmetic feature that lets your town really stand out at night.
• Camera System Completely Redone. We have completely rebuilt the game’s camera, making it smoother and easier to control. We have fixed all bugs relating to the camera getting stuck in scenery and it now automatically adjusts if something obscures your view. A range of camera sensitivity options have been added and you can now scroll the camera by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen.
• Cloud Saving Feature Added. The game now uses Steam’s built-in cloud saving feature so your towns will travel with you
Bug Fixes/Gameplay Tweaks:
• The population goal has now been increased to 400 due to the extra content expanding the game.
• Fixed a bug where sometimes you could not destroy the Punishment Centre manually.
• Fixed some frame rate issues on the title screen and when saving that might speed up save times for some people.
• Fixed an issue where if you changed your scavenger loot focus while the leader was inside looking for something, they could get stuck.
• Fixed a bug where the Town Hall radius effect graphic was incorrectly appearing when you opened the Town Hall outpost.
• Condensed the storehouse menu slightly, removing some outdated resources. This may help with an issue where players at 4k+ resolutions were having trouble with it.
• Changed the forum link button so that when you report a bug it goes to the new Steam forums, not the old pre-alpha ones.
• Fixed a missing title on the video options panel.
• Fixed some spacing issues with text in a few places where things could get cut-off at certain resolutions.
• Fixed the missing tooltip and icon for garrisons in the jobs priority list if you make a ruin into a garrison.
The Road to Release
Every month we release a personal and honest look at the making of Atomic Society.